18-month-old girl bitten, injured by pit bull
A young girl suffered severe injuries from a dog bite from a pit bull in Titusville recently, causing her to suffer facial injuries. The dog was to be euthanized after being quarantined.
The 18-month-old toddler was reportedly attacked by the pit bull in the living room of her family’s home, receiving a facial puncture wound. Members of the girl’s family were surprised by the dog’s actions, which they described as unprovoked. They stated that the dog has been present in the family home for approximately eight years.
Following the attack, the girl’s family placed an emergency call to summon paramedics to the home. The attack took place while the girl was lying on the floor of the living room and attempting to get a video off of a storage shelf. The toddler was rushed by a fire department ambulance to a hospital in Orlando. A medical helicopter, which would ordinarily be utilized for such emergency transport, was temporarily unavailable because of inclement weather conditions.
The child was reported to be in stable condition after the incident. While the bite was considered severe, and did result in a number of lacerations, an official from Brevard County Animal Services and Enforcement stated that there was “more blood than actual injury,” according to Florida Today’s website.
Authorities decided to put the pit bull in quarantine where it would be humanely put to sleep. The owner voluntarily turned the pit bull over to animal control officials. Authorities said that there was no current license tag for the pit bull, but that no legal action would be sought against the owner.
Source: Florida Today, “Pit bull bites toddler in Titusville,” Andrew Knapp, Sept. 20, 2011
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim