2 Hurt, 1 Killed in Sunday SUV-Motorcycle Accident on Perdido Key
Two motorcyclists remain hospitalized today after a Sunday night SUV-motorcycle accident. Another motorcyclist was killed in the wreck, which occurred around 10:30 p.m. on September 19.
According to the Pensacola News Journal, Robert O. Mitchell Jr. of Pensacola had only had his Harley Davidson for a week before the fatal motorcycle accident. An employee of Goring Delivery, he is survived by three daughters, an eight-month-old granddaughter, and other family. He was 41.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Mitchell was traveling east on Perdido Key Drive with another motorcycle at the time of the accident. The other riders were Bobby Whitfield, 39, and his passenger Suzanne Whitfield, 45, both of Pensacola.
As the two motorcycles approached the intersection of Perdido Key Drive and Captain Kidd Reef, they encountered an SUV that had stopped to turn left onto Captain Kidd Reef.
The FHP crash report says that Mitchell and Whitfield failed to slow their motorcycles and collided with the rear of Davis’s SUV. None of the three motorcyclists was wearing a helmet.
After the motorcycle-truck accident, Bobby and Suzanne Whitfield were airlifted to Baptist Hospital. Bobby was in serious condition and Suzanne was in critical condition. They remained in serious and critical condition when the PNJ checked with hospital staff on Tuesday.
The driver of the SUV, Karen T. Davis, 48, of Pensacola, suffered minor injuries requiring no immediate medical treatment.
No one has been ticketed in connection with crash, and the FHP investigation into themotorcycle accident and wrongful death is ongoing.
- “One killed, 2 badly hurt in 3-vehicle crash” (Pensacola News Journal, September 20, 2010)
- “Accident victims remain hospitalized” (Pensacola News Journal, September 22, 2010)
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver