Big rig crash on Florida bridge kills 4
Four people were killed and three others were injured in a multiple-vehicle crash on a Florida bridge on March 2. According to a sergeant with the Florida Highway Patrol, the accident involved two SUVs and a big rig. Authorities believe, based on a preliminary investigation, that one of the SUVs was slowing with the flow of traffic when it was struck from behind by the big rig.
The crash happened on the Buckman Bridge in the afternoon. One of the SUVs caught fire, and its four occupants, two adults and two minors, were killed. The three occupants of the other SUV suffered injuries that were not thought to be life-threatening. They were transported to an area hospital for treatment.
The southbound lanes of I-295 were closed from Orange Park to Mandarin for several hours while the crash was investigated and the roadway cleared. At the time of the report, the investigation was still ongoing. It was not known why the driver of the big rig failed to brake in time.
In a case where one or more people are killed in a big rig accident, it may be possible for their surviving family members to file wrongful death claims on their behalf. Generally, the estate of the deceased has the right to pursue recovery for wrongful death. A personal injury attorney may be able to help a plaintiff by examining the facts of an individual case and identifying all potential defendants before attempting to negotiate or file claims in civil court.
Source: 9 News, “4 dead, 3 injured in fiery crash in Florida,” March 2, 2015
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know