Billy Bob Thornton’s daughter found guilty of manslaughter
It always makes news when a young child appears to die at the hands of another. And while it may not be plastered on the airwaves like the trial of Casey Anthony, another high-profile trial has concluded late last week.
The 32-year-old daughter of Billy Bob Thornton was found guilty of aggravated manslaughter. It’s in connection with the alleged wrongful death of a one-year-old girl in 2008. The girl was apparently the daughter of the woman’s best friend.
According to reports, the woman was staying overnight at her friend’s house in October 2008 when the girl suffered a fatal head injury. The woman claimed the girl sustained an injury when she was trying to climb out of a playpen. Her attorneys apparently argued she hit her head and aggravated a previous injury.
However, prosecutors argued it was not possible such a short fall could have caused the toddler’s skull fracture and brain swelling.
Despite being found guilty of manslaughter, the woman was found not guilty of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in an Orlando court. She will reportedly be sentenced on the manslaughter charge next month. There was no word if the girl’s mother had any comment.
According to NBC Philadelphia’s website, the woman is apparently estranged from Thornton, who said in 2009 they had not been in contact for quite a long time. He went on to say, in a publicist’s statement, “Any time a baby’s life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby’s family and loved ones.”
- Orlando Sentinel, “Amanda Brumfield guilty: actor’s daughter guilty of manslaughter in girl’s death, officials say,” Jeff Weiner, 1 June 2011
- NBC Philadelphia, “Billy Bob Thornton’s daughter found guilty in child death,” Eric Alt, 2 June 2011
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver