Bizarre Florida crash kills vacationing Missouri couple
According to sources, a vacationing couple was killed in an accident in Florida when an airborne pickup truck landed on top of their SUV. The accident reportedly occurred on March 12 on Interstate 4 in Volusia County.
Investigators reported that a 44-year-old DeBary man driving a pickup truck west on the interstate abruptly changed lanes around 9:25 p.m. When he did so, witnesses indicated that he lost control of his vehicle and drove into the median, where he struck the center guardrail. The force of that collision apparently sent his pickup truck airborne, and he landed on top of the couple’s GMC SUV.
The couple, a 66-year-old man and his 69-year-old wife, both died of the injuries they received in the accident. The 66-year-old man was pronounced dead at the accident scene, and his wife was later pronounced dead at the hospital where she had been transported for treatment. The 44-year-old pickup truck driver was also seriously injured in the wreck and was transported to the hospital. The man’s 29-year-old passenger also was injured and rushed to the hospital for treatment. The couple who lost their lives were from Smithville, Missouri, which is a suburb of Kansas City. Officers have not indicated whether drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident’s cause.
When a person is killed in a car accident due to the fault of another driver, his or her family may want to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent driver. Through a lawsuit, families might recover damages to pay for their expenses and losses incurred. The families of those killed may thus want to consult with a personal injury attorney about their loved ones’ cases.
Source: Orlando Sentinel, “Missouri couple killed after pickup crash lands on SUV on I-4,” Tiffany Walden, March 13, 2015
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know