Boat Rams Dock, Collapses Shalimar Boathouse; Four People Injured
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is still investigating a boat accident in Shalimar last week that injured four people. According to initial reports, the boat struck a residential dock, then crashed into a boathouse behind a Garnier Bayou home at around 12:30 p.m. on August 2. The impact caused the boathouse to collapse on top of the boat and its passengers.
Three off-duty firefighters were across the bayou at the time of the boat accident and witnessed the crash. They rushed to the scene and helped while awaiting help from other emergency personnel.
No one was on the dock at the time of the boat accident, but one member of the boating party was flown to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola with non life-threatening injuries.
Three other passengers suffered minor injuries and were taken to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, according to Scott Funchess, battalion chief for Ocean City-Wright. Three others in the group were not injured.
According to FWC spokeswoman Joy Hill, the boaters were from another state. Their identities were not released. Hill told the Destin Log that the investigation would take some time to complete.
It is not yet clear whether alcohol was a factor in the boat accident.
The Destin Log was unable to reach the owner of the dock and boathouse for comment.
“Boathouse collapses in Shalimar; four injured” (The Destin Log, August 2, 2010)
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?