Charges filed for crash that killed motorcycle passenger
A Georgia resident is dead after a fatal hit-and-run motorcycle accident in Panama City Beach on Sunday.
The woman was reportedly riding on the back of a 1996 Harley Davidson motorcycle being operated by a 28-year-old male from Dothan, Alabama. They were reportedly struck in the rear by a Ford F150 while they were stopped at a red light at the intersection of U.S. 98 and State 79.
The driver of the F150, a resident of Youngstown, was reportedly charged with leaving the scene of a crash involving death, since he allegedly fled the scene of the accident. According to sources, he was ultimately tracked down by a bystander who witnessed the accident. When police arrived, he was arrested.
The driver of the motorcycle sustained only minor injuries, but his female passenger – from Pooler, Georgia – was not so lucky: she died after being taken to a local hospital. Sources do not indicate the exact nature of her injuries.
Officials indicate more charges could be pending against the driver of the truck. His blood was reportedly taken for analysis, and he may be charged with DUI manslaughter if his sample tests positive for alcohol. Officials apparently believe alcohol was a factor in the fatal accident.
According to the Panama City News Herald, the chief of the police department called the accident tragic and pleaded with motorists to always drive safely. He also reportedly noted the precarious nature of riding motorcycles. “Obviously motorcycles don’t afford you as much protection as in a car,” he said.
Please don’t drink and drive.
Source: Panama City News Herald, “Woman killed in motorcycle crash,” S. Brady Calhoun, 1 May 2011
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?