Collision With truck kills 1, leaves woman with critical injuries
An accident that took place in Christmas, Florida, has left a 33-year-old man dead and a woman critically injured. The man driving the pickup truck going westbound on S.R. 520 attempted to turn onto Cocoa Water Plant Road and struck a Hyundai driven by the woman. The accident was being investigated by authorities at the time of the report.
Troopers report that the driver of the truck was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The female driver of the Hyundai was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center with critical injuries after the car crash.
A National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration study finds that 94 percent of crashes they included in the study involved what can be called ‘human error,” that is, errors in recognition, errors in decision-making or errors in performance when controlling the vehicle. Distracted drivers and drunk drivers are among the leading offenders in this category. Problems with the vehicle itself accounted for only 2 percent of the crashes, with tires and brakes comprising the most frequent cause of the accident. Environmental factors account for another 2 percent, and unknown reasons make another 2 percent.
Vehicle accidents can cause injuries that affect an individual’s ability to work, engage in activities with family and enjoy life. Medical expenses can mount into the millions of dollars. These costs can a lasting financial burden on families. In addition, insurance companies do not always play fairly with accident victims.
An experienced personal injury lawyer could help to navigate that often complicated system of insurance settlement and can advise a client on legal options after sustaining injuries caused by a negligent driver. If the the responsible driver is killed in the crash, their estate may be held liable for damages in their stead.
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually