Crash involving four vehicles leaves several injured on U.S. 98
Most Florida drivers aren’t fazed by rain, but heavy precipitation can cause potentially treacherous situations, as one recent crash illustrates.
A car accident involving four vehicles occurred on a recent evening on U.S. 98 in West Pensacola. Several people suffered injuries, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Two men were taken to Sacred Heart Hospital with serious injuries, while a man and a woman were taken to Baptist Hospital, also with serious injuries. An 18-year-old woman and a 3-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.
Reports of the incident were received from the crash site on the highway near Navy Exchange Road close to Naval Hospital Pensacola. Members of the Florida Highway Patrol and emergency crews were summoned to the scene of the crash to provide assistance, direct diverted traffic, investigate the causes of the accident, and remove debris.
According to the Pensacola News Journal, an investigating officer who surveyed the scene says the rain probably played a role in the collision. A police report stated that two SUVs on the highway smashed into each other head-on, after which a pickup truck and a sedan also became involved in the accident. According to one report, one driver admitted falling asleep, which may have caused the accident.
Due to the number of vehicles involved and the amount of debris, the crash forced a shutdown of traffic in a westbound lane of the highway. Only after both damaged SUVs were taken off the crash site was traffic able to start moving again.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Rain blamed in U.S. 98 crash late Wednesday,” Lindsay Ruebens, May 3, 2012
- Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?