Driver charged with leaving accident, DUI
Being injured in a car accident is bad enough, but the situation is always made worse if the driver flees the scene. After a recent accident involving multiple injured passengers, one of them was left behind as others fled, or else was moved to a separate location from the others, apparently on purpose. Now the driver who caused the car accident is finding himself in hot water.
According to reports, the driver, from Silverhill, Alabama, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident and first-degree assault. The passenger who sustained injuries was flown to a Pensacola hospital and later released.
The 24-year-old driver was apparently driving his Chevy pickup truck above the speed limit on Linholm Road near Interstate 10. The speed limit in the area was reportedly 35 m.p.h. He reportedly lost control of the truck, causing it to flip over. For some reason, it appears one of the passengers was left behind.
The driver’s mother apparently owns a bar down the road from where the accident occurred. According to a state trooper, because the family did not want any involvement with authorities, the driver and the rest of his passengers were taken to another location in the mother’s car. But the one passenger was left behind or moved elsewhere, and why is unclear. The rest were located later, some with minor injuries.
It was not clear if drugs were involved, but the investigation was ongoing. It’s possible other people, including the driver’s mother, could be charged. After the driver was jailed, he was released on $10,000 bond.
Source: Gulf Coast newspapers, “Silverhill man charged with DUI and leaving the scene of an accident,” Andrea Williamson Brooks, 30 June 2011
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver