Driver injures one after striking parked vehicle
Two people were hospitalized Saturday in Northwest Florida in an early morning car accidentrecently. The crash happened in McDavid, a small town on Highway 29, at about 3:30 a.m., according to officers.
A 22-year-old driver’s vehicle was struck as it was legally parked next to the highway by a 27-year-old driver, resulting in injuries that required transportation to local medical facilities. Charges are pending in the case. A photo posted to NorthEscambia’s website showed a totaled vehicle.
Nighttime can be one of the most dangerous times to be on the roads. Vision can often be obscured, motorists are tired and other drivers are more likely to be intoxicated. Drowsy drivers can also pose a significant hazard.
Additional danger can occur when a car is parked alongside the road in these conditions.
Even drivers who are legally parked may face additional risk because of compromised conditions and bad visibility. Many private and commercial motorists simply pull to the side of the road to park and rest. Because of cost-cutting efforts by many states, several municipalities have closed rest stops, which only adds to the problem.
Nighttime drivers have a responsibility to remain vigilant while operating their vehicles, and they should pay close attention to vehicles that may be on the side of the road or on the shoulder. Motorists should be able to stop, whether in cases of emergency or not, without worrying about being struck by another vehicle.
Source: NorthEscambia.com, “Charges pending after Hwy 29 crash in McDavid,” Jan. 21, 2012
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?