Escambia County Animal Shelter worker bitten by dog deemed vicious
A worker at the Escambia County Animal Shelter was seriously injured on Friday after beingbitten by a dog that had been brought to the shelter for quarantine after having bitten another person. The dog has tested negative for rabies, but it has been deemed “dangerous and vicious” by Animal Services and will have to be euthanized.
According to Escambia County spokesperson Sonya Daniel, the dog had been brought to the shelter for a ten-day quarantine after the first dog bite incident. The ten days had just expired, and the owner, a woman from Pensacola, had come to the shelter to pick up her dog.
When the Pensacola woman tried to muzzle the dog and put it inside a transport crate, the dog leapt past her and attacked the animal shelter worker, biting her on her arms.
The worker was taken to Baptist Hospital for treatment. A reporter from the Pensacola News Journal contacted the hospital, but no further information was available about the shelter worker’s condition.
The 31-year-old shelter worker was a contractor assigned to the shelter through an employment agency, but she had worked at the kennel for at least a year before she was bitten by the dog, Daniel told reporters.
The dog’s owner voluntarily signed custody of the aggressive dog over to the shelter, Daniel says. As is standard procedure after an animal attack, the dog will spend another ten days at the shelter in quarantine to ensure that it does not have rabies, although it did pass its first rabies test. The dog will then be euthanized.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Escambia animal shelter worker wounded in pit bull attack,” February 28, 2011
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim