Florida AARP director: poor infrastructure behind pedestrian accidents
In our last post, we mentioned a recent report which highlighted the issue of pedestrian safety in south Florida. The report, in particular, showed that the likelihood of a pedestrian being killed in South Florida was roughly 2.78 times higher than the national average. The high population of elderly residents was cited as a large reason for the elevated pedestrian accident rate.
Some experts in the industry, recognizing the problem, have pointed out that the state needs to do more to build a pedestrian-friendly infrastructure. Jeff Johnson, head of the American Association of Retired Persons in Florida, is among those who say that state roadways need to be improved from the perspective of pedestrians.
Part of the problem behind pedestrian deaths in South Florida may be related to infrastructure, but a fair share of it is also poor driving. Regardless of the infrastructure, drivers are expected to exercise a reasonable degree of care when behind the wheel and to follow all traffic rules. Failure to do so puts not only themselves at risk, but others as well, particularly pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
When a pedestrian is harmed as a result of negligent driving, he or she has the right to receive compensation for injuries. In cases where fatality is involved, surviving family members have the right to be compensated for their loss. Victims and families of victims, of course, should always work with an experienced personal injury attorney when pursuing such cases to ensure their interests are well represented.
Source: Florida Times-Union, “State AARP official talks about making Florida more pedestrian friendly,” Mike Clark, May 20, 2014.
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim