Florida driver charged after fatal drunk driving wreck
When people get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol beverages, they are putting more than their own life at stake. Anyone else they encounter on the road could be put in harm’s way as well. Such innocent victims are placed in precarious situations.
A drunk driving accident involving a Pensacola driver, for example, left one person dead and another critically injured. A 28-year-old man was reportedly driving his pickup truck east in the westbound lane of Nine Mile Road early on Saturday morning. That’s when he collided head-on with another vehicle.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, that car was driven by a 57-year-old man, who was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. The man’s 24-year-old daughter, who was riding in the vehicle as a passenger, was also injured critically and taken to a local hospital for treatment. The woman was formerly a soccer player with the University of West Florida, according to media reports. Her condition wasn’t immediately available following the crash.
The allegedly intoxicated driver was reportedly injured as well, and was treated at West Florida Hospital. His injuries were described as serious, but he was able to be moved to Escambia County Jail. He is charged with DUI manslaughter, DUI with serious bodily injury and DUI with damage to property.
His bond was originally posted at $115,000, but during his first court appearance over the weekend, his bond was raised to $165,000.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Bond raised for driver in wreck that killed Pensacola man,” Rhema Thompson, Aug. 19, 2012
• Our firm handles similar situations to the one discussed in this post. If you would like to learn more about our practice, please visit our Florida car accidents page.
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?