Florida driver charged after fatal drunk driving wreck
When people get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol beverages, they are putting more than their own life at stake. Anyone else they encounter on the road could be put in harm’s way as well. Such innocent victims are placed in precarious situations.
A drunk driving accident involving a Pensacola driver, for example, left one person dead and another critically injured. A 28-year-old man was reportedly driving his pickup truck east in the westbound lane of Nine Mile Road early on Saturday morning. That’s when he collided head-on with another vehicle.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, that car was driven by a 57-year-old man, who was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. The man’s 24-year-old daughter, who was riding in the vehicle as a passenger, was also injured critically and taken to a local hospital for treatment. The woman was formerly a soccer player with the University of West Florida, according to media reports. Her condition wasn’t immediately available following the crash.
The allegedly intoxicated driver was reportedly injured as well, and was treated at West Florida Hospital. His injuries were described as serious, but he was able to be moved to Escambia County Jail. He is charged with DUI manslaughter, DUI with serious bodily injury and DUI with damage to property.
His bond was originally posted at $115,000, but during his first court appearance over the weekend, his bond was raised to $165,000.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Bond raised for driver in wreck that killed Pensacola man,” Rhema Thompson, Aug. 19, 2012
• Our firm handles similar situations to the one discussed in this post. If you would like to learn more about our practice, please visit our Florida car accidents page.
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?