Florida pit bull attacks its owner
If dogs will attack their owners, how could guests invited to the premises be immune fromdog attacks? A woman in Florida was allegedly attacked in her home by her own pit bull, and people who know her are stumped as to what could have happened.
Authorities say that the 30-year-old woman fell to the floor of the residence after a seizure. For unknown reasons, it’s believed that her pit bull began to maul her face, causing severe lacerations. The woman’s mother found her later that day during a visit and called for an ambulance before moving the victim outside of the home and into her vehicle. Blood was found on the floor and the walls of the master bedroom.
When help arrived, the woman was in a state of shock, though was able to say her name when asked. She was transported to Blake Medical Center.
The pit bull and a second dog were contained in cages by the victim’s mother after the attack. Both dogs were kept at the Sarasota Sheriff’s Office. After a mandatory 10-day quarantine, the victim’s family has the final say if the attacking dog will be euthanized. Options of adoption are not available due to the attack. According to police reports, both dogs appear to be docile.
After the attack, the woman was in the hospital recovering in the intensive care unit.
According to an expert on animal behavior, the pit bull may have used too much force when attempting to help its owner after it recognized something was wrong during the seizure. However, the dog may have gone into a predatory state after it noticed blood appearing. The behaviorist also says the scenario was only one of the many possibilities.
Source: Herald-Tribune, “Venice woman mauled in face by her own dog,” Dale White and Bart Pfankuch, July 25, 2012
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?