Massive Florida pileup leaves 10 dead, dozens injured
A horrible accident in Florida over the weekend is making headlines in the state and around the country. The explosive crash left at least 10 people dead and 18 injured. Authorities are still trying to determine what exactly caused the fatal accident.
They do know it likely stemmed from poor visibility. The road where the accident occurred, Interstate 75, had been closed because smoke from a brush fire, combined with fog, made for difficult driving conditions. However, prior to the accident the road was re-opened. Now, some are questioning why drivers were allowed back on the road.
One witness who escaped injury says that the scene was chaotic. No one could see much of anything, he says, and he could hear people screaming and crying while cars were hitting each other.
Several vehicles burst into flames. A picture posted to CBS News’ website shows the charred skeleton of a semi truck, behind which sits a burned-out car with a pickup truck directly on top of it.
The southbound lanes of Interstate 75 were still closed due to cleanup issues, including asphalt that had melted after the explosions. The northbound lanes reopened on Sunday. At least six people remained in hospital trauma units, authorities say. The names of the victims who died have not been released yet.
It’s not clear whether the fire may have been started on purpose. There were no reports of lightning strikes and no controlled burns in the area at the time. Police say they will keep looking for answers.
Source: CBS News, “Cause of deadly Florida crash sought,” Jan. 30, 2012
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?