Passenger dies in wreck caused by illegal drag race
There’s a reason drag racing is illegal: it’s extremely dangerous. It can cause serious injury or death, as evidenced by a tragic accident in Gulf Breeze over the weekend that caused an elderly woman’s wrongful death.
According to the Pensacola News Journal, police say that a1997 Ford Mustang was likely racing with a two-door Pontiac GTO around 6:15 p.m. on Saturday evening near the intersection of Gulf Breeze Parkway and Twin Pine Boulevard.
The driver of the Mustang apparently collided with a Toyota Camry that was attempting to turn left onto Twin Pine Boulevard from the parkway. The Mustang reportedly hit the passenger door of the other vehicle, which then left the roadway, hit traffic signs and smashed into a tree.
A 77-year-old passenger in the Camry suffered severe injuries and was taken to Baptist Hospital in critical condition. She died the next day, the News Journal reports. The 73-year-old driver of the vehicle apparently sustained minor injuries.
Witnesses say the Mustang and GTO were racing at the time of the crash. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the driver of the GTO fled the scene, and officers are attempting to locate that person. The vehicle, which was not directly involved in the crash itself, is described as burnt orange or bronze in color.
No charges have been filed against the 21-year-old driver of the Mustang, at least not yet. Police say charges are pending while an investigation is conducted.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Police: Illegal drag race may have led to Gulf Breeze crash,” Travis Griggs, Nov. 27, 2011
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?