Pedestrian killed on U.S. 98 in Navarre
Sometimes pedestrians will appear in places drivers might not expect. But that doesn’t mean that drivers have license to not drive as carefully or to not ensure a pedestrian’s safety. And, as always, they should never drive away from the scene of a car accident.
Sadly, one Florida motorist did just that over the weekend, and a pedestrian was killed. Now, police are seeking the public’s help to find the driver involved in the hit-and-run accident.
The accident happened on U.S. Highway 98 in Navarre on Friday night. A 20-year-old man was reportedly walking west in a right-hand turn lane near the intersection with Whispering Pines Boulevard, according to the Northwest Florida Daily News.
The driver of a pickup truck reportedly hit the pedestrian from behind and then sped away. The pedestrian was taken to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola, where he was pronounced dead.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the pickup truck is believed to be pewter in color and is a 2005 Chevrolet 2500 model. It’s possible the vehicle has damage to the passenger side headlight and the grill.
The man was known to be a Florida resident, but his name was not immediately released so that his next of kin could be notified.
It’s hard to say what could have been going through the driver’s head when the accident occurred. He or she might have panicked, but that is never an excuse not to stop and help somebody when an accident occurs.
Source: Northwest Florida Daily News, “Pedestrian killed in hit-and-run; officers seek driver,” Lauren Sage Reinlie, March 9, 2012
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?