Pensacola Man, 26, Dies in U.S. 98 Motorcycle Accident
Police are unsure of the cause of a motorcycle accident on Sunday, June 27, that claimed the life of 26-year-old John K. Hodges, III, of Pensacola. The wreck occurred at approximately 8:40 p.m. on U.S. 98 just west of Fairfield Drive in Escambia County.
According a Florida Highway Patrol news release, Hodges may have been speeding as he rode his 1997 Suzuki motorcycle westbound on U.S. 98. He was described as traveling at a “high rate of speed.” He was also not wearing a helmet.
Jason Sheridan, 28, also of Pensacola, was driving his 2004 Ford pickup eastbound on U.S. 98 when he attempted to turn left into a driveway. Unfortunately, he made his turn in front of Hodges motorcycle, which struck the passenger side of Sheridan’s pickup. The FHP has said that Sheridan failed to yield the right of way when making the turn.
Hodges was pronounced dead at the scene. Sheridan and his passenger suffered minor injuries in the crash but did not require hospitalization.
Although the FHP has preliminarily found fault on the part of both drivers, the motorcycle accident is still under investigation. It is not yet known whether drunk driving was involved.
No one has been ticketed in connection with the collision, although the Northwest Florida Daily News reports that charges are pending the results of that inquiry. The probe could result in grounds for a wrongful death claim.
- “Rider killed when motorcycle strikes pickup on U.S. 98” (Pensacola News Journal, June 29, 2010)
- “Pensacola man killed in motorcycle crash” (Pensacola News Journal, June 28, 2010)
- “Motorcyclist killed in U.S. Highway 98 wreck” (Northwest Florida Daily News, June 28, 2010)
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim