Teen sitting on curb struck by vehicle
Anyone minding their own business on the side of the road has a right to expect that drivers will notice them and not veer into their path. Unfortunately, not all drivers are that careful.
Recently, a teenager was struck by a vehicle while she was sitting on a paved curb at the intersection of Saints Lane and Falcon Drive in Milton, Florida. The 15-year-old girl was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola following the car accident. She reportedly sustained some minor injuries.
It was around 8:05 a.m. on a recent morning when the accident occurred. The 15-year-old girl was sitting on the paved edge of the southbound lane of Saints Lane, according to the Florida Highway Patrol report. That’s when the vehicle struck her.
According to the Santa Rosa Press-Gazette, the 25-year-old driver of a truck apparently failed to see the girl on the side of the road. He was heading east on Falcon Drive at the time.
As the driver turned right from Falcon Drive onto Saints Lane, he told police officers, he sneezed and was distracted to the point of striking the pedestrian with the right side of his vehicle, according to the FHP.
Following the car accident, the driver was charged with careless driving. It’s lucky that the girl did not suffer more severe injuries. Drivers encounter unexpected distractions such as sneezing every day, but it should not cause them to strike pedestrians.
Source: Santa Rosa Press-Gazette, “Milton teenager struck by car, sustains minor injuries,” Matthew Pellegrino, Jan. 10, 2012
- Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?