Texting driver has close encounter with manure truck
While it has become common knowledge that texting while driving in Florida is dangerous, it never fails that while driving on city streets or on a highway, someone is behind the wheel engrossed in their smartphone. Not only is this annoying, it increases the likelihood of a crash, and that someone will be injured.
The specter of an accident should be enough to convince drivers to put down their phones. A number of anti-texting while driving campaigns focus on the life-long implications of serious (and fatal) accidents. While these initiatives seem to work, perhaps a different focus may help.
A driver in a Ford Mustang convertible crashed into a liquid manure truck. The driver (ironically) broke his finger in the crash. According to a UPI.com report, the man driving the Mustang was texting while driving, and he didn’t see the slow moving truck in time to avoid a crash.
The report did not disclose whether the accident compromised the tank carrying the fertilizer, but it would conceivably make a good commercial. It would be amusing to imagine a ton of liquid cow poop being dumped on a texting driver who was not paying attention to the road.
Nevertheless, drivers should be aware that texting while driving is illegal on Florida roads. If an accident ensues because of this, an offending driver could be held liable. This would allow those injured in the crash to seek compensation for their injuries; including lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering and property damage.
For more information on personal injury lawsuits, an experienced attorney can help.
Source: UPI.com, Matthew Bruhn was allegedly texting when he crashed into a manure truck, August 21, 2013
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim