Tragic accidents a reminder of the need for highway safety
Car accidents are especially tragic during the holiday season. Families celebrate time together during Christmas and New Year’s, so when a life is lost during this time, it can be tremendously painful. Such is the case for a number of Florida families as a result of fatal crashes.
On Christmas Day, two people were killed in an accident occurring in Coral Springs. According to an NBC Miami report, the car the two were riding in crashed into a tree. Both the driver and the passenger were pronounced dead at the scene. An investigation into the crash is ongoing, but police suspect that excessive speed played a part in the crash.
Outside of Winter Haven, the grandson of famed Florida State University football coach Bobby Bowden was killed in a separate car crash. Details about the crash are still coming in, but authorities report that the car lost control, flipped over and landed in a small ditch. The driver of the car was also killed while a third person remains hospitalized.
The accidents are tragic reminders of the dangers that can befall drivers during the holiday season (and during other times of the year, for that matter). Florida drivers are tasked with using reasonable care while driving, which means that they must take the same precautions that a reasonable person would. Essentially, they must follow the rules of the road (including speed limits) refrain from texting while driving, and avoid driving while under the influence of alcohol.
If a driver fails to do these things, and an accident occurs, the driver could be held personally liable.
Source: NBC Miami.com, “Bobby Bowden’s grandson killed in Central Florida crash,” December 27, 2013
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually