Usher’s stepson dies 2 weeks after boating accident
The boating accident that involved hip-hop artist Usher’s stepson two weeks ago has highlighted the danger of personal watercraft accidents. Usher’s stepson was left critically injured, and over the weekend he passed away from his injuries.
The accident, which took place in another state, occurred on July 6 when the 11-year-old boy was riding an inner tube with a 15-year-old girl behind a pontoon boat on a lake. The inner tube was apparently run over by a jet ski that was being operated by someone else in their party. While the girl suffered fairly minor injuries, including a broken arm, the boy’s injuries were more serious.
He was unresponsive when he was pulled from the water and was taken to a local hospital with a serious brain injury. He was declared brain dead soon thereafter, and had been on life support until shortly before he died on Saturday morning.
According to authorities, an investigation into the accident is continuing. It is not clear if any charges are pending.
The boy is Usher’s stepson from a previous marriage. Usher and the boy’s mother had been in a custody dispute concerning the two sons they had together since their divorce was finalized in 2009. Usher apparently had helped raise his stepson since he was 4 years old, and was devastated by his death.
Such accidents, unfortunately, are not uncommon, particularly in Florida, which has a high rate of boating fatalities compared to other states.
Source: Associated Press, “Usher’s stepson dies 2 weeks after lake accident,” July 22, 2012
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?