Wrongful death suit filed on behalf of deceased Florida attorney
Relatives of a Florida attorney that died in a 2012 plane crash reportedly filed a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of her estate. According to sources, the attorney had been piloting the single-engine plane when it lost power and crashed north of Orlando. The attorney and her passenger suffered severe burns, though the passenger ultimately survived.
The lawsuit involves numerous defendants, including the companies that designed and sold the plane; companies that designed, built and sold the plane’s engine and other components; the party who performed the pre-purchase inspection on the aircraft; and others. According to the complaint, the plane was unsafe for flying because of design flaws, use of inherently dangerous materials and lack of safety precautions.
According to the deceased woman’s attorney, she was an experienced and prudent pilot, and blame for the accident is entirely with the defendants. Sources didn’t say whether a specific amount of damages is named in the complaint.
Wrongful death accidents often involve tragic situations, and can be difficult for the family of the victim. But winning a wrongful death suit isn’t necessarily easy. In order to sue for wrongful death, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant or defendants was responsible for acts or omissions that were the cause of the victim’s injuries and death. This legal standard is called “proximate cause,” and it isn’t always easy to prove, particularly when the victim was somewhat at fault for the accident.
It helps to work with an experienced attorney in building a strong wrongful death case.
Source: The Beacon-News, “Lawsuit filed in death of Aurora man killed in Florida plane crash,” May 26, 2013.
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know