Pedestrian critically hurt when car hits Florida bus stop
On behalf of Terence Gross of Gross & Schuster, P.A. posted in Pedestrian Accidents on Monday, May 4, 2015.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a 50-year-old woman was critically injured when she was struck by a car moments after stepping off a bus on State Road 436 in Seminole County on April 24. The crash happened shortly before 9 a.m.
Authorities said a 26-year-old woman was driving her 4-door Honda Civic west on SR 436 and failed to notice a Lynx bus and a 2-door coupe stopped in front of her until the last moment. She swerved to avoid a collision but ended up striking the coupe, the bus stop shelter and a woman who had just exited the bus.
The victim suffered critical injuries and was rushed to a local hospital. The driver of the Civic was also transported to the hospital as a precaution. The driver of the coupe, a 46-year-old man, was not injured. The crash remains under investigation. Charges are pending, according to police.
Pedestrian knockdowns are often caused by negligent motor vehicle drivers who are not paying close attention to their surroundings. If police determine that the driver who caused a crash was impaired, texting and driving or otherwise distracted at the time of the pedestrian accident, any victim injured as a result may wish to consult with an attorney about their legal options. In some cases, it may be possible to use the police report, witness testimony and crash scene evidence as the basis for a personal injury lawsuit filed against the at-fault driver. If sucessful, the plaintiff may be awarded compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, wages lost during recovery and other damages.
Source: WKMG, “Woman hit by car while getting off bus near Forest Lake Academy, troopers say,” Michelle Dendy, April 24, 2015
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?