Toddler turned over to protective services after dog attack
It’s important for pet owners to remember that pet doors are big enough for a small child to squeeze through. This can lead to an unfortunate encounter, such as when a child is attacked by a dog.
An 18-month-old boy was severely injured in a dog attack at his grandparents’ home earlier this month, resulting in his hospitalization. The child reportedly suffered serious injuries to his face and ears. The boy, who was hospitalized for several days, was to be released into foster care after departing from the medical facilities, say officials with Child Protective Services.
The boy was injured when he crawled through a pet door into the yard where seven dogs were present, according to authorities. He was attacked by four of the dogs, which were mixed-breed boxers, after he entered the yard. A neighbor saw the attacks and called for emergency help. Not long after the attack, his mother, who had been sleeping, awoke during the commotion and fended off the dogs, saving the boy from even worse injury.
After first responders arrived on the scene, a neighbor confronted the boy’s grandmother. She apparently responded by grabbing the neighbor’s throat, resulting in her arrest and subsequent confinement for assault with bodily injury. The grandmother was released on $2,500 bail after spending the night in the county jail.
The dogs involved in the attack were euthanized and tested for rabies, according to local protocol. None of the animals were found to carry the disease. The dogs’ owner, who was not identified, willingly yielded the animals to city authorities, reports say.
While this incident did not occur in Florida, it could have happened in any neighbor’s backyard. That’s why it’s important to take precautions to protect young children form vicious animals.
Source: Star Telegram, “Tarrant toddler mauled by dogs turned over to CPS,” Domingo Ramirez Jr., Feb. 1, 2012
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries