Video of distracted driving crash should be a warning
Commercials and public safety messages warning drivers about the dangers of texting while driving have seemingly become commonplace. It can be assumed that drivers know that the practice has its dangers, yet many continue to text while behind the wheel under the universal (yet foolhardy) assumption “it won’t happen to me.”
However, an accident involving a Florida man who admitted he was texting behind the wheel should serve as a real-life warning to those who think they can safely type and send text messages while driving.
Police recently released a dash cam video of the car officers were trailing that shows the car swerving outside of its lane before making a turn, cutting across the inside lane and then driving onto the sidewalk, where it hit a guardrail, a bus stop sign and then a tree before flipping over.
The video has garnered national headlines, and police hope that this incident serves as a wake-up call to those who believe that texting and driving can be done safely.
Fortunately, the driver of the car escaped from the car without serious injuries. He reportedly admitted to police that he was texting just before the crash. He was cited for two traffic violations, including texting while driving.
We find the story important because it is a real-life example of the dangers of texting and driving. It also shows that traffic violations can also be used as evidence of a breach in the duty to use reasonable care while driving, and how people who breach this duty can be held liable.
Source: ABC News.com, “Texting and driving caught on camera,” January 14, 2014
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?