73-year-old bicyclist killed in Florida truck collision
A 73-year-old man was killed in Navarre while riding his bicycle on the paved shoulder of U.S. Highway 98 near State Road 87. The accident occurred on Oct. 29 around 10 a.m., according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
A pickup truck driver reportedly drifted out of his lane of traffic, striking the bicyclist on the shoulder. According to reports, the truck then continued driving over the bicyclist before going off of the road and striking a tree in a wooded area adjacent to the highway.
The bicyclist was pronounced dead at the scene. Emergency responders located the truck in the woods, and the driver was transported to Gulf Breeze Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. At the time of the report, there was no word on whether alcohol or drugs may have been involved. Authorities were still investigating the cause of the accident. They stated vehicular homicide charges may be pending against the truck’s driver.
When a person is killed in a bicycle accident as a result of a negligent driver, the driver may face both criminal and civil penalties for his or her actions. The loved ones of people who are killed may be able to recover damages from the negligent driver by filing a wrongful death lawsuit against him or her. A personal injury attorney may be able to help families recover damages by filing a civil complaint, negotiating with other attorneys and insurance companies, deposing witnesses and advocating for their clients in court at hearings and trial. Families may be able to recover both economic and non-economic damages.
Source: nwfdailynews.com, “Update: Truck hits, kills 73-year-old cyclist on 98“, Trista Pruett, October 29, 2014
- Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?