Baby dies after being attacked by family dog
It’s extremely important to never leave a dog, even a beloved family pet, alone with a newborn. Even if the dog is generally well-behaved, such a situation could lead to a tragedy. It’s best to take all precautions necessary to avoid serious dog bites.
Sadly, a 2-week old boy was pronounced dead last week after the family dog, a Labrador mix, sniffed the baby who was in a carrier on the floor and started mauling him.
According to Chron.com, the baby’s mother was outside the house at the time and was watching through a window as her baby was attacked. Apparently the dog had entered the same room as the baby by pushing his way through a set of doors. Family members in the house pulled the dog off the baby and called 911. The infant was transported by rescue helicopter to an area hospital, but died of the wounds about five hours later.
Sheriff Deputies investigating the incident would not reveal the name of the family, but were continuing to interview them about the incident. A neighbor expressed concern for the dead infant’s parents who had only recently moved into the rented house.
Animal experts commenting on the case did say that even the family pet, without a history of aggressive behavior, can attack without warning. They say that an unfamiliar-smelling and noisy infant could pique the interest of the animal who will likely investigate.
Experts also say that the family pet, no matter how trustworthy, should never be left alone with a newborn. They say that an animal has to get used to a newcomer to the family. They also say that fatal attacks against babies are a rare occurrence.
Investigators are trying to determine if the death happened as the result of negligence or if the infant’s death was just an unfortunate accident.
Source: Chron.com, “Newborn dead after family dog attacks,” Hallie Jordan and Anita Hassan, Sept. 5, 2011
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries