Bike Week in Daytona leads to several fatal crashes
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents happen in Pensacola and all over the state. A particularly deadly string of crashes in the central part of the state recently made headlines.
Ten people died in motorcycle accidents during Daytona’s Bike Week 2012 in separate incidents. That adds up to almost one death per day during the event, which ended March 18 and represents an increase over the six reported motorcycle crash deaths occurring during Bike Week in 2011. In calculating these figures, law enforcement officers included any death from a motorcycle accident occurring in Central Florida during the Bike Week festivities.
Thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts were drawn to the area for the annual event, either as participants or spectators. In addition to deaths, there were a number of injuries. Florida law enforcement authorities reported investigating 17 motorcycle crashes on March 17 alone.
According to WFTV, alcohol played a role in one of the fatal accidents. A 77-year-old motorist was allegedly drunk when she plowed into a 64-year-old man’s bike, killing him. The crash took place on Ocean Side Drive, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. The woman was charged with DUI manslaughter for the incident.
In another accident, a 55-year-old motorcyclist died on County Road 305 in Seville as a result of being unable to maintain control of his bike. Investigators are looking into the causes of that accident. One biker commented that more accidents tended to happen at night, when things tended to “get rowdy,” as opposed to during the day, when fewer problems were experienced.
Source: WFTV, “Motorcycle crashes rise during Daytona Bike Week,” March 18, 2012
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know