Death of two in accident highlights dangers of boating
Last month, two men were killed and a woman injured in a Florida boating accident in St. John’s County when a 16-foot motorboat crashed into a dock off the Pelican Reef neighborhood. The boat, according to media reports, had been heading north when it crashed into the dock and caused the two men, both 52-years-old, and the woman to be thrown into the water. None of the accident victims were wearing lifejackets.
The 50-year-old woman involved in the accident, the wife of one of the boaters, was hurt but has since recovered to a stable condition after medical care. The men both died at the scene. The three were apparently returning to the Vilano Bato ramp after a fishing trip when the accident occurred.
Three fishermen who witnessed the accident reportedly said the boat flew past them at full throttle, and that they heard the crash and responded. They ended up saving the woman’s life. Following the accident, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers investigated the accident to determine the cause. That investigation is apparently ongoing and officers are hoping to interview the woman involved in the accident to learn more about what took place.
The man who had been operating the boat was reportedly familiar with the waters, but the docks in the area of the accident go out into the water about 110 feet to the drop-off point, and there was also a strong tidal current and no moon.
It isn’t clear whether alcohol was a factor in the accident. In any case, the accident is a good reminder of the risks of boating.
Source: Jacksonville.com, “Two die in boat crash,” May 28, 2013.
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim