DOT looking into safety of Jacksonville bridge
Last month, an accident on the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville left a man dead after his pickup was pushed off the bridge by another motorist who crashed into him. The accident is only the most recent one in a series of incidents that have led to the Florida Department of Transportation reviewing the bridge for potential safety improvements.
According to officials, it is not known what led the driver to cause the accident. The driver did say that he didn’t see the pickup in time. The pickup, had apparently slowed down or stopped along with other traffic in response to another crash. According to Ron Tittle of the Florida Department of Transportation, reviews of roads are common when accidents continue to happen in a particular area, and that is what is happening in this case.
The Florida Highway Patrol has apparently investigated 101 crashes that occurred on the bridge since last July. That certainly seems to be a lot, and something which requires the response of officials responsible for roadway safety.
Roadway safety can certainly be an issue in personal injury litigation, particularly when one is seeking compensation from state or local agencies responsible for maintaining safe roadways. Though these claims are not necessarily frequent, it does happen that agencies can be found responsible for accident injuries or fatalities.
Those who believe they may have a case against a local agency in connection with a roadway accident should contact an experienced personal injury attorney to have their case reviewed. Doing so will help identifying the best strategy for recovery.
Source: Jacksonville.com, “FDOT reviewing Buckman Bridge safety in light of deadly accident that sent pickup over railing,” Jim Schoettler, July 23, 2014.
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually