Emergency responder dies in motorcycle accident
Sadly, a Florida man who dedicated himself to saving lives lost his in a tragic accident on his way home from working an EMS shift.
The 22-year-old Flomaton resident, who worked as a first responder, firefighter and a lifeguard, died in a motorcycle accident near Jay late last week. He was apparently headed north on Highway 89 near Pineview Church Road on his 2001 Yamaha motorcycle.
He apparently struck the wheel of a mower implement attached to a John Deere tractor that was operating partly on the paved side of the road and in part of the northbound lane of the highway.
The motorcyclist, who was wearing a helmet, was airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, where he was later pronounced dead. The driver of the tractor, a 45-year-old man from Brewton, may be facing charges pending the outcome of an investigation, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
The motorcyclist was married, had a young daughter and had another child due in the fall. He was a certified firefighter and paramedic. He had worked for Atmore Ambulance and as a firefighter for the Escambia County Fire Rescue’s Century Station.
The accident shows how vulnerable motorcyclists can be when they come into contact with big vehicles and equipment. It’s important for motorists driving tractors on busy roads to comply with the law and make sure that all necessary safety precautions are taken to avoid accidents such as this one.
Source: NorthEscambia.com, “Local first responder killed in motorcycle, tractor crash,” June 22, 2012
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?