Florida woman in critical condition after bus accident
On behalf of Terence Gross of Gross & Schuster, P.A. posted in Pedestrian Accidents on Tuesday, February 17, 2015.
A 72-year-old Palm Harbor woman was critically injured after being hit by a PSTA bus on Thursday, Feb. 12, around 4 p.m. The woman was walking in the crosswalk in the 36000 block of East Lake Road when the bus struck her, dragged her for some time and then stopped, pinning her under the bus.
The pedestrian was airlifted to the Bayfront Medical Center. She remains in critical condition as of Friday following the accident.
The bus driver, a 58-year-old St. Petersburg man, was cited for failure to use due care causing a serious injury. The driver stated that he failed to see the pedestrian. There is no word from PSTA authorities regarding the accident.
In this situation, there are many factors that may be considered when determining the cause of the accident. The driver stated that he was unable to see the woman that he hit, but whether he was negligent or there was an issue with the bus that limited visibility is unclear. It is possible that once the investigation concludes that both the driver and the PSTA played a role in the accident.
In most cases, after an accident, the person and the organization responsible may be sued for personal injury damages by the victim or her family. However, the transit authority may have sovereign immunity as part of the government, which will make suing it much more difficult. An attorney can help a victim learn what laws apply to the case and how to best proceed so that all her medical, social and psychological needs are met and compensated for. An attorney who is familiar pedestrian accidents may be a good source of guidance and support to the injured victim and her family members.
Source: Palm Harbor Patch, “PSTA Driver Cited in Pedestrian Crash,” Sherri Lonon, Feb. 13, 2015
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know