Four killed when trailer detaches on U.S. 27 in Florida
Four people were killed in a four-vehicle wreck on U.S. Highway 27 in western Palm Beach County on March 17. Troopers said a Ford Focus, a Ford F-150 and two semi-trucks were involved in the incident.
According to authorities, the chain reaction began when a trailer became disconnected from a southbound semi-truck. The Ford Focus tried to avoid the stationary trailer by swerving to the right, but it hit the right rear of it. The Ford F-150 swerved to the left but struck the left rear of it. Finally, another semi-truck veered to the right, but it crashed into the Focus, pushing it into a ditch.
Four occupants inside the Focus, a 39-year-old female, a 17-year-old male, a 16-year-old male and a 14-year-old female, all died at the scene of the crash. Authorities said the teenagers were not wearing seat belts. Another unidentified passenger in the vehicle who was wearing a seat belt suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to Delray Medical Center. The driver of the second semi-truck was treated for minor injuries at Lakeside Hospital. A representative of Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said there was heavy fog in the area when the crash occurred. An investigation is being conducted into the accident.
Commercial truck drivers are required to properly maintain their vehicles before driving on Florida roadways. Unfortunately, some truck drivers and trucking companies put unsafe vehicles on the road, which can lead to fatal crashes. Anyone who has lost a loved one in a commercial truck accident may benefit by speaking with an attorney. If the negligent actions of a truck driver or their employer led to a victim’s death, a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible parties can be maintained for the recovery of funeral and burial expenses and other damages.
Source: WPBF, “4 dead after crash on U.S. Highway 27 in Palm Beach County,” Peter Burke, March 17, 2015
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually