Gulf Breeze DUI Driver Charged in Wrongful Death of Road Worker
A road worker was struck and killed in a hit-and-run car accident Monday night, October 25, on U.S. 98/Gulf Breeze Parkway in the Midway area. The driver fled the scene, but a Gulf Breeze woman has now been arrested and charged with DUI manslaughter in connection to the fatal accident.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a road construction project is taking place on U.S. 98/Gulf Breeze Parkway to modify the median and add turning lanes. The construction crew began working on the improvements on Sunday night, October 24.
On Monday night, the road crew was setting up a reflective barrel in the roadway near the Woodlawn Beach Road exit when an eastbound vehicle struck one of the workers and continued without stopping. The construction worker, a 42-year-old Pensacola man, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Left behind at the scene of the wrongful death were vehicular paint chips and a rearview mirror that was broken off during the collision.
Using those clues, State troopers were presumably able to determine the make and model of the vehicle involved in the fatal accident. They located the alleged hit-and-run driver, a 50-year-old woman, at around 1:30 am. at her Gulf Breeze home and arrested her. There was evidence that she had been drinking, and her driver’s license had been suspended.
She has been charged with DUI manslaughter, driving on a suspended license and hit and run in an accident involving a wrongful death. She has been taken to the Santa Rosa County Jail pending arraignment on those charges.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “Construction worker hit, killed,” Louis Cooper, October 26, 2010
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know