Hyundai’s luxury sedan to be recalled due to braking issue
The Hyundai Genesis was built and marketed to shed the Korean automaker’s image of producing low-cost vehicles that could not compete with luxury giants such as Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes-Benz. While it is debatable that the Genesis is actually meeting such expectations, it is certainly not immune from the common defects that plague automakers.
According to a recent Fox News.com report, Hyundai will issue a recall to address a braking issue. Essentially, there ostensibly is a problem with a brake control module that could be compromised due to corrosion. The problem could affect the car’s ability to stop properly. Hyundai believes that the problem is serious enough to recall more than 27,000 Genesis vehicles that have been sold in the U.S. between 2009 and 2012.
While recalls can be concerning, they are necessary steps that automakers take to meet their legal duty to ensure that their vehicles are in proper working order, and that consumers are not exposed to undue risks as a result of a defect.
A number of questions surround the timing of the recall, especially given that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently opened an investigation into customer complaints about the Genesis’ braking system. The Fox News.com report highlighted a complaint where the alleged defect resulted in complete braking failure and nearly resulted in a serious accident. Hyundai maintains that no one has suffered any injuries as a result of the problem, and that any Genesis owner concerned about the issue will be free to bring their vehicle to a dealer for an inspection.
Source: FoxNews.com, “Hyundai to recall Genesis cars to fix brakes,” October 22, 2013
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know