Milton woman charged with DUI manslaughter after crash that killed driver
Over the weekend, a Milton woman was charged with DUI manslaughter following a fatal hit-and-run accident on Interstate 10. The accident occurred on Sunday morning when the 25-year-old was travelling east in her Honda Odyssey when she rear-ended a Dodge Charger, causing that vehicle to veer into the grass median, where it rolled several times before coming to rest.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the 33-year-old driver of the Charger was thrown from the vehicle as it rolled, and was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. The Milton woman also ran onto the median as a result of the collision, but only stopped briefly before continuing east on I-10. She was later arrested by Santo Rosa County sheriff’s deputies and charged with DUI manslaughter, DUI serious injury and leaving the scene of a crash with death.
There were reportedly three other passengers riding in the Charger at the time of the crash. One of them, a 24-year-old Milton man, was taken to a local hospital for serious injuries, and the other two suffered minor injuries in the crash.
It isn’t known whether any personal injury or wrongful death claims will be filed following the accident. Such claims, of course, have the purpose of compensating the victims or their survivors for the damage or loss caused by the negligent party. The damage or loss can be great in cases where alcohol is involved, and victims deserve the opportunity to seek out the compensation they are due.
Source: pnj.com, “DUI charge in fatal wreck,” April 28, 2013.
Source: Source: pnj.com, “DUI charge in fatal wreck,” April 28, 2013.
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim