Panama City crash kills one and injures three
Sometimes, passengers are at the mercy of their driver when it comes to safety. Unfortunately, they can find themselves in the wrong vehicle at the wrong time.
A car accident late last month resulted in the death of one female occupant of a vehicle, and caused three other people in the car to suffer injuries. The accident occurred at approximately 4:15 a.m. one recent morning near Martin Luther King Boulevard on U.S. Business 98 in Panama City, according to the News Herald.
The vehicle apparently crashed into a power pole, causing the car to be sheered in half. The front portion of the 2004 Toyota was found after the accident at the corner of MacArthur Avenue and Fifth Street, with the windshield, hood and front seats intact.
The back of the car, including a crushed trunk, was discovered in a parking lot approximately 200 feet away, with the trunk contents thrown all over the surface of the lot. The power pole was splintered and buckled, reaching out almost onto the road. Damage to the pole caused a loss of power to approximately 200 electric company customers until later in the afternoon when power was restored by repair crews.
All four occupants were rushed to the nearby Bay Medical Center following the accident. One of them died, and two others were released after being treated for their injuries. A fourth person had to remain hospitalized due to the severity of her injuries.
Police are continuing to investigate what could have caused the accident, and were not able to initially determine whether excess speed or the consumption of alcohol were factors in causing the crash. Police blocked the area of the accident off for almost the entire day while conducting their preliminary investigation and so debris could be removed.
Source: Panama City News Herald, “1 dead and 3 injured in early morning crash,” Meredith Kaufman, Oct. 22, 2011
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know