Six months later, family still awaits justice
The 19th century British politician William Gladstone once said, “Justice delayed is justice denied.” That sentiment no doubt rings true for Jeff Crawford. The Virginia man is still waiting for police to arrest a suspect in the Easter Sunday morning hit-and-run death of his 63 year-old brother Robert. Robert was riding his bicycle near the Gulf Islands National Seashore when a vehicle struck him from behind and then took off. When rescuers arrived, Robert Crawford was already dead.
Ten days after Robert was struck down the Florida Highway Patrol found a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica with front end damage they suspect may be the car that hit him. The FHP announced shortly afterward that they were investigating the driver. Three months went by, and Jeff got another call from the Patrol saying they were doing DNA tests, and after those were complete they could make an arrest. Jeff is still waiting.
The grieving brother says he spent “1,000 hours on the telephone” searching for answers and demanding justice. Back in July Jeff and his wife spent two days on the roadside near where his brother was killed, holding signs that read “Justice for Jeff Crawford.” They plan to be back for another vigil soon. The Florida Highway Patrol says the case is still “active” and “charges are still pending.”
Robert Crawford told a newspaper reporter that he would continue to press for answers. “You aren’t just going to kill my brother and have folks turn their back to it. They aren’t going to ignore my brother’s death,” he said. “Until my last breath I am going to keep coming down there until this is solved.”
Source: NWF Daily News, “Brother of killed bicyclist still waits for arrest,” Angel McCurdy, Oct. 14, 2012
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?