St. Bernard-Labrador attacks woman and small dog at beach
Dogs can be dangerous animals, even when they attack other pets. When people are nearby, they can get caught in the middle of a nasty attack.
A mixed breed St. Bernard-Labrador retriever named Malachi apparently bit a woman in the midst of an attack on a smaller terrier at a dog beach in Canova Beach Park in Brevard County earlier this month. The terrier and his owner had apparently been at the dog beach, which opened in February of this year, every day. The dog attack occurred at approximately 9:45 a.m. on a recent morning when the larger dog escaped the restraints of his handler, close to the entrance to the beach.
The animal first attacked the terrier, named J.B., taking him into his mouth while shaking his head back and forth, police say. The St. Bernard’s owner tried to separate the dogs, and was then bitten on her right hand, suffering a laceration and bite punctures on her right hand.
She was cited by law enforcement for the property damage caused by the attack and for failing to properly restrain the dog. County Animal Enforcement officers were summoned to the scene.
The terrier was injured and had to be treated at Aloha Pet & Bird Hospital, where it was determined that one of his front legs was broken. Required surgery to insert a pin into his shoulder was estimated to cost approximately $2,000. The dog who staged the attack was being held in quarantine at his owner’s home in Melbourne. J.B.’s owner was not injured in the incident, but she very well could have been.
Source: Florida Today, “Woman bit, terrier mauled during attack at Brevard’s dog-friendly beach,” Rick Neale, May 3, 2012
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?