Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists’ Coverage
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage seems to be the most misunderstood portion of most peoples’ policies in Florida. First of all, it has nothing to do with the age or value of your vehicle. I have noticed over the years that many people reduce their coverages significantly as the car ages. While this may be a good idea as it relates to collision or comprehensive which is there for reimbursement if an older car is damaged or totaled, it has nothing to do with a bodily injury claim for injuries suffered in an accident. You can get just as injured in your old car as you can a brand new one.
If a person has multiple vehicles in their household, they should always have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage equal to their bodily injury limit coverage. For instance, if you have $100,000 in liability coverage then you should have $100,000 in UM to cover you and family members for injuries. If you do have multiple vehicles, it should always be stacking, since you can multiply your coverage by the number of vehicles, which could be extremely helpful, especially if your loved one has severe injuries.
Florida has one of the highest rates of uninsured motorist in the country, at nearly 25%. It is my personal opinion that 50% of all drivers in Florida only have a $10,000 bodily injury limit, which is just not very much coverage in this day and age. Therefore, it is very important to each and every household to have an adequate amount of UM to protect them from the negligence of a tortfeasor who is uninsured or underinsured.
- Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
- Busiest Roadways in Pensacola
- What Is the Difference Between No-Fault and Fault Insurance?
- Basics of Car Accident Settlements
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?