Biker injured in I-110 motorcycle accident February 26 has died
The 25-year-old motorcyclist from Mary Esther who was critically injured in a February 26motorcycle accident died this morning, according to a Florida Highway Patrol press release. The young biker wrecked when trying to exit northbound Interstate 110 onto eastbound Interstate 10, and he has been in critical condition at Sacred Heart Hospital since the accident.
The fatal motorcycle accident occurred around 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 26. According to the FHP, the man was apparently speeding as he headed north on I-110. Planning to merge into traffic on eastbound I-10, he turned right onto the curve of the exit lane, but lost control of his motorcycle.
He crashed into the highway’s concrete barrier wall and his bike overturned. He slid around the curve, sustaining critical injuries.
Other motorcyclists who were riding with the man had no option but to stand by after the wreck and watch as their friend was taken to Sacred Heart for treatment.
His wife, family and other area bikers maintained a nine-day vigil after the tragic accident, even holding a charity ride this Saturday, March 5, to raise money to help his wife pay his medical expenses. Unfortunately, the young man succumbed to his injuries this morning.
A fatal accident is always sudden and heartbreaking. Although the Florida Highway Patrol has not reported evidence of another driver’s negligence in this particular accident, the tragedy should serve as a reminder to both bikers and drivers of other vehicles. Sunshine and fresh air have returned to Pensacola, and with them come motorcycle and moped riders.
If you’re out driving, please take special care to keep an eye out for motorcyclists. If you’re a biker, make safe operation of your motorcycle your first priority.
- Northwest Florida Daily News, “Motorcyclist dies nine days after crash,” Wendy Victora, March 7, 2011
- Northwest Florida Daily News, “Motorcylist [sic] critical after accident,” Lauren Sage Reinlie, February 26, 2011
- Pensacola News Journal photo gallery of motorcycle wreck, March 7, 2011
- Is Florida a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?