Fatal car accidents increase in first quarter of 2012
After years of declining numbers, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently released data that shows that there has been an increase in fatal car accidents in the first quarter of 2012 compared to the same time last year.
The study found the number of people who were killed in traffic crashes in the first quarter of 2012 was about 7,600, or almost 1,000 more than 2011’s total of 6,700. This increase is roughly 13.5 percent.
This is the first time fatalities from the year’s first quarter have increased since 2006, when about 9,500 fatal crashes took place. However, the number of miles driven by motorists from 2011 to 2012 increased by 1.4 percent, or more than 9 billion. As common sense would indicate, more traveled miles make the number of traffic crashes rise, according to AAA.
According to authorities from the NHTSA and the AAA, the cause could be the fact that people were driving more this winter because of the warmer conditions, which typically brings more people out on the roads. With an increase of drivers on the roads, the number of fatal crashes would increase.
The AAA director believes that the numbers prove there is a need to make sure driver safety is at the forefront. Many laws to increase traffic safety and improve driver behaviors were put in place after 1972, which marked the deadliest year for drivers. Then, accidents claimed more than 54,000 lives.
If the numbers for 2012 hold, it will mark the second largest quarterly increase from year-to-year in fatal traffic accidents since 1975.
Source: CNN, “U.S. traffic fatalities soar 13.5 percent in first quarter of 2012,” Jim Barnett, July 23, 2012
• Our firm handles similar situations to the one discussed in this post. If you would like to learn more about our practice, please visit our Florida car accidents page.
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually