Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against Millionaire After Fatal Car Accident
The family of Scott Wilson has filed a wrongful death suit against Florida millionaire John Goodman following the death of their son in a car accident that happened in February. In the suit, the Wilsons accuse Goodman of being drunk and possibly under the influence of drugs on the night he ran a stop sign and plowed into Scott Wilson’s car, hurling it into a canal.
Scott didn’t die in the car accident, though his car landed upside down in the canal, Trapped in his submerged car, Scott drowned. Meanwhile, with his sports car totaled, Goodman allegedly fled the scene. The Wilsons claim that, as their son drowned, Goodman looked for a place to hide as he frantically called lawyers and friends, making no attempt to help Scott.
He was finally convinced to turn himself in to authorities.
Thus far, no criminal charges have been filed against Goodman, though that reprieve could be short-lived. Detectives working on the case are approaching an end to their investigation. After they finish, the collected information and analysis will be passed on to state prosecutors, who will then decide whether or not to file criminal charges.
Neither have Goodman’s blood-alcohol results been released, though those are also expected soon. The personal injury attorney working on the Wilson’s case has said that there is evidence Goodman bought upwards of 18 shots at the Palm Beach Player’s Club restaurant.
The Player’s Club, itself, is also named as a defendant in the wrongful death suit. Wilson’s parents have accused the club of continuing to serve Goodman drinks even though he was visibly drunk and claim that employees made no effort to stop him from driving.
- Parents’ lawsuit: Polo club founder Goodman was drunk, taking drugs before causing fatal crash in Wellington (Palm Beach Post, April 29, 2010)
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually