Main Causes of a Pedestrian Accident
In terms of the nature of the injuries you can sustain, pedestrian accidents are among the most damaging in which you can be involved.
Read on below to learn more about the main causes of a pedestrian accident and how an attorney could help you recover damages.
Pedestrian Accidents: What Are the Main Causes?
Pedestrian accidents refer to the act of a car, truck, bus, or other motor vehicle striking and wounding a pedestrian on a road, on a sidewalk, or in another area.
Given the size difference between vehicles and pedestrians, the injuries are often of a catastrophic nature.
Some of the primary reasons that pedestrian accidents occur include:
- Driving Under the Influence – Drunk drivers not only risk their own lives when they make the fateful decision to get behind the wheel impaired—they’re also putting the lives of others in jeopardy. Every year, too many people suffer serious injuries and even death as the result of pedestrian accidents caused by drunk drivers.
- Distracted Driving – The rise of apps, texting, and other mobile features has led to a simultaneous increase in the number of incidents of distracted driving. Public safety ads often focus on the personal risks of driving while using the phone. For pedestrians on sidewalks or near roads, however, the consequences can be even graver.
- Speeding – Another leading factor in pedestrian accidents is the speed of the driver. When drivers exceed the recommended and legal speed limits, they run the risk of being unable to slow in time to prevent a tragic pedestrian accident.
- Visibility – Construction near roadways or pedestrian crossings, as well as the time of day, the clothes the pedestrian is wearing, and other factors, can all decrease driver visibility to disastrous effect.
- Traffic – Heavy traffic is another risk factor for pedestrian accidents. To give one example, consider the case of a driver trying to turn left against heavy traffic. In their rush to turn in front of oncoming traffic, they may fail to scan the crosswalk at the precise moment a pedestrian is crossing, leading to an accident.
Given the prevalence of pedestrian accidents and the devastating consequences they can have for victims, pedestrians are advised to take caution and never assume that a driver sees them when crossing the road.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Sometimes, even all the caution in the world can be no match for the recklessness or negligence of a driver behind the wheel.
Regardless of the nature of you or your loved one’s accident, a pedestrian accident attorney can defend your rights when someone else is responsible for your injuries.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
When you’ve suffered injuries, gained medical bills, and lost income as the result of a negligent driver, don’t just assume that compensation is going to find its way to you automatically. You need the support and experience of a pedestrian accident lawyer with Gross & Schuster, P.A. in your corner.
Call 850-434-3333 or fill out the form below to get started with a free consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer from Gross & Schuster P.A.