Another Driver Who ‘Didn’t See’ Biker Causes Motorcycle Accident
Despite the long-running “Start Seeing Motorcycles” traffic safety campaign and the large increase in motorcycle ridership over the past few years, drivers continue to behave as if they don’t need to look for motorcycles on the road. They look — or they may think they look — but they apparently don’t see motorcycles.
That appears to be the reason for the September 15 motorcycle accident near Interstate 10 that seriously injured a motorcyclist from Cantonment.
According to Florida Highway Patrol trooper David Kelly, a 28-year-old Texas man said shortly after the crash that he was attempting to turn left from Chellie Road onto Pine Forest Road at about 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday when he ran his red pickup into a 53-year-old biker.
“I looked, and I didn’t see him,” he told the police, according to Trooper Kelly’s report.
The front-left side of the Texan’s pickup truck struck the motorcycle, knocking it down and apparently resulting in at least a broken ankle for the motorcyclist. He was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital where he was said to be in good condition, according to the Pensacola News Journal.
The motorcycle-truck accident caused at least $3,000 in damage to the Texan’s red pickup truck and another $3,000 in damage to the motorcycle, according to the FHP crash report. Neither the truck driver nor his passenger was injured.
In order to avoid traffic tie-ups, both vehicles were moved to the side of the road after the motorcycle accident. The driver of the truck was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way.
- “Motorcyclist better following collision” (Pensacola News Journal, September 16, 2010)
- “Motorcyclist hurt in wreck on Pine Forest Road” (Pensacola News Journal, September 15, 2010)
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually