Crash occurred at beginning of Daytona Bike Week
Earlier this month, a 49-year-old man from Shelton, Conn., died after crashing his motorcycleinto a storage truck on Interstate 95. The man had reportedly been driving his Harley Davidson north on Highway 1 when the crash occurred. Tragically, he died at the scene.
Florida Highway Patrol said that a 29-year-old St. Augustine man had been backing his truck into a private driveway and blocking northbound lanes of Highway 1. Another motorcyclist, ahead of the accident victim, had swerved to the left to avoid the truck and clipped its left front corner. The victim also swerved, but smashed into the left side of the truck.
The trucker and the driver ahead of the victim both suffered minor injuries. Sources pointed out that neither of the motorcyclists were wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
Officials are looking into whether the accident involved alcohol, but there is no word on that yet.
The accident took place at the beginning of the Daytona Beach Bike Week, which ran through March 17. Motorcycle crashes typically rise during the event, which attracts many bikers across the state.
Motorcycle crashes are obviously quite dangerous of motorcyclists. Failure to exercise safety almost always puts motorcyclists at greater risk of injury and death. That said, no matter how many precautions motorcyclists take, there is always a risk of becoming involved in an accident, and of being injured or killed.
It is good to understand one’s legal options when it comes to obtaining compensation from a motorcycle crash. Having that knowledge can lead to a course of action that brings great financial relief to victims and/or their survivors.
Source: St. Augustine, “Bike Week claims first fatality locally,” March 9, 2013
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver