State Highway Patrol urges drivers, bikers to exercise safety during Daytona Bike Week
Our Pensacola are probably aware that this coming week is Daytona Bike Week. In anticipation of the celebration, local law enforcement officials and motorcycle safety advocates gathered in Daytona Beach to warn drivers and bikers about the potential dangers they could face.
Last year, Daytona Bike Week saw 46 motorcycle-related injuries and five fatalities. This year, Florida Department of Transportation and the Florida Highway Patrol are hoping to decrease those numbers through a safety education campaign. This week, on Wednesday and Thursday, there were already some motorcycle accidents with injuries, but no fatalities.
Daytona Bike Week typically attracts thousands of bikers to Daytona Beach and surrounding areas. Law enforcement is encouraging bikers to wear bright colors to increase their visibility, and drivers of vehicles are being encouraged to look twice in their rearview and side mirrors before switching lanes.
During the press conference this week, two Pennsylvania residents spoke about a friend who was injured during Bike Week two years ago. That biker was injured because a driver failed to check his mirror.
Motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries. Over half of all fatal motorcycle crashes in Florida involve a vehicle and usually the driver of that vehicle is at fault. These accidents can be costly. In Florida, the median charge for hospital care for drivers and passengers after a crash is $56,966.
Those who suffer injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident sometimes have little choice but to pursue compensation through a personal injury suit. Doing so isn’t necessarily a pleasant process, but it can certainly result in financial relief and a feeling of closure.
Source: Daytona Beach News-Journal, “FHP: Bikers and motorists should ride safe during Bike Week,” Lacey McLaughlin, March 8, 2013
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know
- Distracted Driving Causes Over 50,000 Florida Car Accidents Annually
- In a Florida Car Crash? Watch Out for These Injuries
- What To Do When You’ve Been Hit By An Uninsured Driver
- How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Claim In Florida?
- What Happens In A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 5 Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
- 3 Ways To Maximize The Value Of Your Personal Injury Claim