Fatal crash shows the dangers of drinking and driving
With summer almost here, more and more people in Pensacola will be spending their evenings enjoying a drink on a patio or having a few beers with friends at a backyard barbeque. Partaking in these activities is a normal part of life in Florida. However, if you are going to be driving yourself home afterwards, it is important to keep the drinking in moderation.
A recent fatal car accident in Santa Rosa County shows just how devastating the consequences of drunk driving can be.
The accident occurred last Sunday on Interstate 10 near Scenic Highway. A woman, who was later discovered to be under the influence of alcohol, was traveling eastbound in a Honda Odyssey when she rammed into the back of a Dodge Charge that was driving ahead of her. Apparently she failed to recognize that the vehicle was on the road.
The force of the impact caused the Charger to roll over several times before coming to rest in an upright position. One of its occupants was thrown from the vehicle as it rolled. He died at the scene of the accident.
The three other occupants of the Charger were injured in the crash. One was injured so severely that she had to be transported to Sacred Heart Hospital.
The driver of the Odyssey was is facing a number of criminal charges including DUI manslaughter, DUI serious injury and leaving the scene of a fatal accident.
In addition, she will likely face civil lawsuits from the injured victims and from the family of the man who was killed.
Source: Pensacola News Journal, “DUI charge in fatal wreck,” April 28, 2013
Our law firm represents the victims of drunk driving accidents. For more information, please visit our website.
- When Should You Hire an Attorney for a Car Accident?
- Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
- How to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
- Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
- What Are Economic Damages?
- How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Dangerous Intersections in Pensacola
- When Can I Sue for a Rideshare Accident in Florida?
- Florida Car Accident Laws You Should Know